Taosheng Jin 1, Kaibo Lu1, Shuangxi Liu2, Shuai Zhao1, Liang Qu1, Xiaohong Xu3

  • 1 State Environmental Protection Key Laboratory of Urban Ambient Air Particulate Matter Pollution Prevention and Control, College of Environmental Science and Engineering, Nankai University, Tianjin 300071, China
  • 2 China Automotive Technology and Research Center, Tianjin 300030, China
  • 3 Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario N9B 3P4, Canada

Received: June 26, 2016
Revised: September 16, 2016
Accepted: October 17, 2016
Download Citation: ||https://doi.org/10.4209/aaqr.2016.06.0264  

  • Download: PDF

Cite this article:
Jin, T., Lu, K., Liu, S., Zhao, S., Qu, L. and Xu, X. (2017). Chemical Characteristics of Particulate Matter Emission from a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Using ETC Cycle Dynamometer Test. Aerosol Air Qual. Res. 17: 406-411. https://doi.org/10.4209/aaqr.2016.06.0264


  • Fifteen elements and ten p-PAHs in DPM were detected in ETC cycle.
  • Three-ring p-PAHs was the main constituent of the total p-PAHs mass.
  • The ratio of FLT/(FLT+PYR) in p-PAHs was indicative of diesel vehicle emission.



This paper presents chemical characteristics of diesel particulate matter (DPM). A heavy-duty diesel engine was tested in ETC cycle with an engine dynamometer. The DPM was sampled with quartz fiber membrane and organic membrane filter. Quartz fiber membrane was used for total carbon (TC) and particle-phase PAHs (p-PAHs) measurement, while the organic membrane was used for inorganic elements measurement. On the quartz fiber membrane, the total of 15 elements detected were 11% of DPM mass. Ca, Si, Na and Al were the major components, accounted for 79% of the 15 elements mass. On the organic membrane, total carbon (elemental carbon + organic carbon) was 90% of total DPM mass. Three-ring p-PAHs were the major components (66%) of total p-PAHs mass followed by four-ring (18%) and two-ring (16%). The FLT/(FLT + PYR) ratio was 0.62, indicative of diesel vehicle emissions.

Keywords: Diesel particulate matter (DPM); Inorganic elements; Total carbon (TC); Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)

Share this article with your colleagues 


Subscribe to our Newsletter 

Aerosol and Air Quality Research has published over 2,000 peer-reviewed articles. Enter your email address to receive latest updates and research articles to your inbox every second week.

79st percentile
Powered by
   SCImago Journal & Country Rank

2023 Impact Factor: 2.5
5-Year Impact Factor: 2.8

Aerosol and Air Quality Research partners with Publons

CLOCKSS system has permission to ingest, preserve, and serve this Archival Unit
CLOCKSS system has permission to ingest, preserve, and serve this Archival Unit

Aerosol and Air Quality Research (AAQR) is an independently-run non-profit journal that promotes submissions of high-quality research and strives to be one of the leading aerosol and air quality open-access journals in the world. We use cookies on this website to personalize content to improve your user experience and analyze our traffic. By using this site you agree to its use of cookies.